Welcome
Login  Sign up

Issue with PBS video

Hello Liam,

It is always a pleasure corresponding with you and thanks for your suggestion. I did the uninstall, reboot and reinstall the software as you have suggested. Tried to download the video again (https://www.pbs.org/video/chasing-the-moon-part-1-kpyzvq/). It didn't work -- the video is about 2 hours long and even after waiting for three hours no luck. I tried Firefox and Safari browsers and they didn't make any difference. Tried to download another PBS video (https://www.pbs.org/video/roosevelts-get-action-1858-1901/) and it worked like a charm without any problems. I don't like Chrome browser and hence didn't try it. I am using a Mac Book Pro running Mac OS Mojave version 10.14.6. I would like to wait for some more time before upgrading to Catalina.

Will you please help?

Regards,

Saty

--- Import ---
Author: N SATYAMURTHY
Created At: 2020-04-17T15:02:12+08:00
Updated At: 2020-04-17T15:02:12+08:00
Views: 16
Votes: 0
--- Import ---

Hi Saty,

We have a working beta available that you can try. There might be a fix built into it that will make the difference for you. I am currently running the beta, so good chance that is why it worked for me.

You can download the beta installer here - https://download.shedworx.com/jaksta/beta/2.2.6_288/JakstaMediaRecorder.pkg

When you first attempt to run the installer you may receive a Mac OS notification saying that it can't be opened because it cannot be checked for malicious software. If this happens click 'OK' and then go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General and click on 'Open Anyway' down the bottom. It will either run the installer or another similar notification as the first will appear and you just need to click 'Open' and then the installer will run.

Please let me know if you have any problems with installing the beta.

If the download still doesn't work then all I can suggest is trying the download with Chrome, and then if it still fails maybe updating to Catalina will be the answer. If you're really against updating to Catalina then it might not be worth it for you though.

Regards

Liam

Jaksta Support

--- Import ---
Author: Liam
--- Import ---

Hello Liam,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the following:

Downloaded the beta installer and tried to download the video file (https://www.pbs.org/video/chasing-the-moon-part-1-kpyzvq/) first with Firefox and then with Safari.  I copied and pasted the URL for this video into the Jaksta Media Recorder program to get it going. It didn't work.

I downloaded Chrome browser and tried again. No luck.

I was able to record several other  videos with all the three browsers (Firefox, Safari and Chrome) with absolutely no problems. Again, I have to manually copy and paste the URL for the videos. Parenthetically I would like to add that these days I have to manually copy and paste the URL for the videos into Jaksta Media Recorder program to download the videos. The automatic starting of the download process as the video starts playing doesn't work any more for some reason. But that is besides the issue that I am having.

I am not sure why I seem to have problems with only this particular video. Any help you could provide will be grately appreciated.

Regards,

Saty

--- Import ---
--- Import ---

Hi Saty,

Just so you are aware, the behaviour of the URL downloader bar is independent of and not affected by the browser used. This means that if a download fails from an entered URL then it will continue to fail. Copying the URL from a different browser will not change the result.

It is only the stream auto-capture method that is affected by the browser. This is also the main/default mode of operation for Jaksta, and if it isn't working then there is another separate problem. I should also add that it was using this mode that I was able to successfully capture the stream you are having problems with.

I would say that the auto-capture mode not working for you is arguably the bigger problem. It generally has a better success rate than the URL download and is almost always much faster. The URL bar downloader is really meant to be a backup option in case the auto-capture does not work.

Can you start by doing a basic auto-capture test on a YouTube video? 

If the YouTube test is successful then that means the auto-capture mechanism is working and something else is inhibiting it on other sites/streams. At this point, do the same test on the problem stream.

Can you also generate and send me a clean log file for whichever test fails?

To get a clean log, you will need to do the following:

• Open Jaksta Media Recorder (JMR)
  • Go to Preferences > General > Find Log File
    • This will open a Finder window that needs to remain open for the remainder of the process
  • Quit JMR
  • Delete the log file in the Finder window
  • Reopen JMR 
    • This will automatically generate a new log file in the Finder window
  • Run one test capture on the problem site/stream
  • Quit JMR once it fails and/or the error is reproduced
  • Source the new log file in the Finder window and then attach it here (don't copy and paste the code in it - send the file itself)

Regards

Liam

Jaksta Support

--- Import ---
--- Import ---

Hi Liam,

I have been wondering about the failure of the auto capture in JMR for quite some time. Initially it started with Firefox and the problem went away with Safari. The problem resurfaced about six months ago with Safari and that's the time I started copying and pasting the URL. I was also thinking the same thing you have said -- the web browser won't help if one copies and pastes the URL.

In any event, I have followed your guidelines and attaching the log file. I clicked on "Attach a file" option below and attached the log file. I am not sure if this has worked as it  supposed to be. As a backup, I am also sending this log file via email addressed to support@jaksta.com <support@jaksta.com>.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Saty

--- Import ---
--- Import ---

Hi Saty,

Apologies for my delayed response.

I have reviewed the log file and it looks like it has captured two instances of Jaksta going through the startup process and nothing more.

I am assuming that you did perform the stream capture tests, in which case that would mean Jaksta did not detect them and therefore did not log any activity. This essentially means that the monitoring is off for some reason and that in turn would explain why the auto-capture function does not work.

At this point I would suggest checking the proxy settings. If they are not set properly then the auto-capture mechanism will not work.

If you go into System Preferences > Network > Advanced > Proxies and view the Web Proxy (HTTP) and Secure Web Proxy (HTTPS) settings, then they should be both be matching and the same as seen below. You can manually adjust them if they are not correct. These two proxy settings should both be active when Jaksta monitoring is ON and deactivated when monitoring is OFF. If you toggle the ON/OFF switch in Jaksta then you should be able to see the proxy settings also go on and off at the same time.

If they look to be correct then you can check your Firewall settings and make sure that Jaksta isn't being blocked. This would also prevent that stream capturing from working. Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall Options (click the padlock and enter your user credentials to unlock the ability to make changes) and check that Jaksta Media Recorder has a green dot and says 'Allow incoming connections'. If the dot is red then click on the dot and change it to 'Allow incoming connections'. If it is not on the list at all then click the '+' symbol and add Jaksta Media Recorder from the Applications folder.

I also noticed in the log that you don't seem to be running the beta version I linked you the installer for. If you end up getting the auto-capture mode working using the information above but then the capture of the PBS video STILL fails, try updating to the beta and then reattempt the capture. I am running the beta, and like I said before the capture worked for me. That might end up making the difference.

Hopefully there is something here that helps. Please let me know how you go.

Regards

Liam

Jaksta Support

--- Import ---
--- Import ---

Hello Liam,

Thanks again for your detailed response.

The Web-Proxy and Firewall setting are exactly as you wanted them to be. All along they have been like that for several years. I double checked them again today.

I tried the beta version  of the software several days ago and it didn't help and that's why I reverted back to the standard program. With the standard program, I was able to download many Youtube videos, but  only by copying and pasting the URLs. However, I could not do the same  with the PBS video as I have said in my earlier communications.  The auto-capture stopped working for me about six months ago. In any event, I downloaded the beta version again and tried to download the PBS video as well as several other Youtube videos. I tried with Chrome, Safari and Firefox browsers individually for each of the videos. None of them worked. The auto-capture failed in each case. Then I tried to copy and paste the URLs to JMR and even that didn't work. So with the beta version of the software I can't download any videos.

I am very sorry to bother you. Any help you could provide will grately be appreciated.

With regards,

Saty

--- Import ---
--- Import ---

Hi Saty,

Did you check the Firewall settings like I mentioned?

Regards

Liam

Jaksta Support

--- Import ---
--- Import ---

Hi Liam,

Yes, JMR is allowed for incoming connections as always in the Firewall setting. I have checked  that too several times.

Regards,

Saty 

--- Import ---
--- Import ---

Hi Saty,

At this point I would suggest doing a full reinstall. If there is a break in the programs processes then this should reset them. It's a bit more involved and thorough than a standard reinstall.

What you will need to do is delete the app (uninstall) from Applications instead of just reinstalling over it. Then in Finder go to the top menu and then access Go > (holding one of shift/alt/control/command) Library > Application Support > Jaksta Media Recorder and delete that folder (NOTE: doing this will erase your library file list in Jaksta, but your downloaded/converted files will remain intact in their destination folders). Reboot the Mac and then do a reinstall of the latest version (https://www.jaksta.com/download/mac/jaksta-media-recorder) and it will generate a new copy of the deleted folder and the application files.

If the problem continues even after this can you please generate a new clean log following the process I outline before, and then send it through again?

Regards

Liam

Jaksta Support

--- Import ---
--- Import ---

Hi Liam,

Thanks for the info. I deleted the JMR folder following exactly your instructions, rebooted the computer and reinstalled the latest version of the program using the URL you have provided. I tried the download of the video (https://www.pbs.org/video/chasing-the-moon-part-1-kpyzvq/) using Chrome browser. The auto-capture worked this time and it is a good step in the right direction.

However, there seems to be two issues now. 1. JMR started non-stop downloading of small files (a few hundred kb size). I quit JMR, deleted all the files and restarted the process. Again, JMR started non-stop downloading of small files. I am not sure how to stop this process. 2. The reinstalled program is a demo version and  a window opened up asking for the activation code. I am enclosing a screen shot of the JMR program window. You can see the small size of the files that were downloaded  and at the bottom a statement that says, "Demo mode. Only 50 % of each download will be saved".

Will you please provide an activation code for JMR and instructions for addressing the non-stop download process.

Regards,

Saty

--- Import ---
--- Import ---

Hi Saty,

This is a good step in the right direction, even if it doesn't wholly seem like it. It seems that doing the full reinstall has corrected whatever was broken internally, and generally the auto-capture downloads should work.

The issue you are experiencing now is not uncommon and is a reaction to the protocols used by the stream. Jaksta has that reaction to some streams and not to others.

As I mentioned before, when I had the successful download it was using our beta version. I also experienced numerous small downloads even then (about 10 or so I think), but one was larger in size. I just waited for the larger file to finish downloading and converting and then played it successfully. Frustratingly, these things are not always consistent but if we know it works for at least one person (me) then we should be able to hope that it will work for another (you) when done under the same circumstances. That's not always the case, but often it works out.

I would now suggest you try the following:

1. Install the beta version I supplied previously if you have not done so already.
  2. Test the auto-capture method again.
  3. If it fails, try using another browser.
  4. If all the attempts fail, generate and supply a new clean log file.

If in any of your attempts you get a large number of small downloads, look for a larger download that runs for longer. This might be the 'true' download that will be successful.

Before any of that you will want to activate Jaksta. I will send your code(s) privately.

Regards

Liam

Jaksta Support

--- Import ---
--- Import ---

Hi Liam,

Thanks for the activation codes. I did the following:

1. Uninstalled JMR program following your instructions that you sent me a few days ago.

2. Rebooted the computer.

3. Installed the beta version of the JMR program. Activated the program with the activation key.

4. Tried to record the PBS video (https://www.pbs.org/video/chasing-the-moon-part-1-kpyzvq/) using three different browsers (Chrome, Safari and Firefox). None of them were able to auto-capture the video stream. Tried few other Youtube videos and the results were the same -- none of the browsers were able to auto-capture the video stream.

5. Collected the JMR log using the instructions you have sent me. The log file is enclosed herein.

Please let me know if you want me to try anything else.

Regards,

Saty

--- Import ---
--- Import ---

Hi Saty,

Can you confirm for me that you are running test captures during the process for generating a clean log file?

The log does not seem to show much past the initial startup sequence, which is strange because normally it starts logging activity very quickly and in a noticeable quantity. The only explanation I can think of is that the monitoring is not working again, which suggests the same problem from before you did the full reinstall.

Can you also clarify for me that you are once again unable to auto-capture any streams in any browser, even YouTube videos? If this is the case it would further suggest a problem with the monitoring.

I also wanted to ask if you run any kind of Mac cleaning software? Sometimes these programs can delete core files of Jaksta thinking that they are redundant or harmful, and this can then inhibit Jaksta. It's a bit of a reach but if you do then that might be related to your issue.

Regards

Liam

Jaksta Support

--- Import ---
--- Import ---

Hi Liam,

The way I collected the log file was using exactly the instructions you have provided earlier. I was using the Chrome browser and was trying to record the PBS video. The auto-capture did not work. Essentially nothing happened in the JMR program window even though the video was playing in the browser. I collected the log file and sent it to you.

I tried recording of several garden variety YouTube videos also. Every single time the auto-capture failed. I could copy and paste the URLs of the YouTube videos (not the PBS video)  and the JMR program worked. The auto-capture did not work with Chrome, Safari or Firefox. The auto-capture was working well until about six months ago, at least with the Safari browser.

I have not used any Mac cleaning software.

Please let me know if this answers your query.

Regards,

Saty

--- Import ---
--- Import ---

Login or Signup to post a comment